THE FIVE YAMAS
The YAMA KIDS YOGA mission is to teach movement, mindfulness and kindness to the next generation.
We highly value teaching movement to kids but we also think the deeper philosophy of yoga is important to impart to the next generation. Specifically, the importance of practicing kindness to oneself and others, as well as a foundational undertanding of our connection to each other. One yoga concept of Yamas, from which our name is derived, is core to our curriculum.
INTRODUCTION TO YAMAS
1. Ahimsa: nonviolence or doing no harm to others or to oneself.
2. Satya: trying to be truthful in all things.
3. Asteya: Non stealing, either in material things or in more subtle ways - like stealing a smile from a friend by saying or doing something unkind.
4. Brahmacharya: non-excess or using and acquiring only what you need in life.
5. Aparigraha: non-possessiveness, non-greed, or sharing that which you have with others who are less fortunate.